Thursday, March 30, 2006

My Memories - College Essay

This is an essay that I wrote for my 12th grade English class and decided to send it with my college application.

There it stood with its barn red exterior and worn appearance. It is the house where I spent my childhood. I knew every little nook and cranny of the house, especially all the best places to hide when playing hide-n-seek. It had a very cozy exterior, and the rooms seemed to be enormous. I felt so comfortable and at home there, but of course, like every older house, it needed repairs and a lot of them. It was decided that the most convenient solution would be to just demolish the house and build a new one. Six, years ago, would be the last time that I would see the image of my house standing there.
The new house was built. The house was a lot smaller and it was very unfamiliar territory. All the walls were new and plain. There were no signs of marks accidentally put on the wall or where I had scribbled all over with green crayon when I was little. It felt really strange and did not feel like it was home. I missed my old house and I wanted things to go back to how they were before. When I looked at the house, all I could see was this strange building standing in the same spot as my old house.
Six years later, I find myself to feel completely different about the new house. I absolutely love my house now. I have discovered all the little aspects of it, although this time not by playing hide-n-seek, and have added my own touches to make it feel like home. The walls are no longer plain, and now I can find myself being relaxed and comfortable there. Now when I look at my house, I no longer see some strange structure standing there, but instead I see a place I can call home.
Just like feeling at home, life can also be a series of changes. There are so many transitions that have to be made throughout life. Whether it is moving from place to place or meeting new people, changes are everywhere. A lot of times people have to tear down or leave behind places and relationships and start anew. This is not an easy thing to do, but at one point or another everyone has to experience this recreation.
Soon, I too, will be undergoing one of the biggest transitions of my life, going to college. I will have to leave behind all the people I have formed relationships with and move to unknown territory. I will be in a completely different location without knowing anyone. I will be looking at some strange place wondering what to do next, but I know that change is a part of life, and if I make the best of it, I can form new relationships and build up a better final product. I know that one day after college, I will look around and see a person very comfortable and real to me, just like my new house.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home